Saturday, August 11, 2012

School Supplies

I LOVE school supplies! I have been drooling over all of the new school supplies that are popping up all over the place. My grandma gave me some money to help me get settled in my new town. So today I went to the store and got a few things for my classroom that I have either read will be helpful or pinned on Pinterest.

I got a label maker! I can put my name on the bottom of things that belong to me before I get them into my classroom.

I also found an idea on Pinterest to help students remember to put their names on their papers. You leave a cup of highlighters near where you want them to turn in assignments and make them highlight their name before they turn it in.

Students must highlight their name before putting it in the tray. Great way to make sure all papers have names!

I bought three pen holders, one for this idea and one for dull/sharp cups for pencils.

Pencils

I am going to use Mod Podge to decorate them and add labels. Hopefully they turn out as cute as the ideas I have found on Pinterest!


I also bought three dish pans to use as Work Baskets. While I was reading a blog (The Clutter-Free Classroom) I stumbled upon one of her flash freebies. Her suggestion was to purchase plastic dish pans from the dollar store (if the only dollar store you have is Family Dollar, I actually found them cheaper at Walmart). You can spray paint them to add color to the classroom if you want. Then you use Mod Podge to glue labels onto the sides of the dish pans to make the labels last longer. You have students turn in assignments by subject. That way, you can save time sorting through papers that need grading. Right now they are just white, but when I get paid I am definitely buying spray paint.

I also finally got to see my classroom! My friend has a key to the building (I haven't met any school officials in person yet). I am so excited because my room is HUGE! And there are so many resources already stacked in my classroom. I really want to get back in there, but I have to either wait until Tuesday or see if my friend is up for another trip out there.

I am getting so excited for school to start. Today was hard because Mike went back to Colorado. It is really going to be difficult being so far away from him especially when I run into some issues. I will start posting more soon because my first day is on Tuesday!! Wish me luck!!!!!


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE dishpans, and DO get them cheapest (every time) from WalMart! They are large enough to hold most paper, and I like that tape sticks to them. I just labeled mine with taped sticky-notes. Mine are grey, so when I get a whim to change my color-scheme, I don't have to get new ones. They've lasted 5 years so far! Not sure spraypaint would be super durable, but maybe if you clear-coat it with something, too?

    ReplyDelete